I’m Mary Walden with economist MW welcoming you to the economic perspective. Today’s program looks at economic opportunities in Africa. Mike, when most people think about selling or investing in other countries, they usually consider areas like China, Europe, or India. But what about Africa? Are there opportunities there?
- First, Africa is a big continent – equal to the US, Europe, China, and India in land mass
- 54 countries and 1.2 billion people – population will double in 30 years
- Standards of living are also rising, as businesses use technology to connect with worldwide companies
- World investment in Africa is also increasing – China is a big player
- Will need enlightened governments to move African economy beyond being based on natural resources to being economically diverse
And I’m Mary Walden for the Economic Perspective, an NC State Extension program from the Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.