The North Carolina Forest Service is offering a 20 percent discount on tree seedling orders placed by active or retired military personnel during the month of November.
- Veterans Day is observed each year on November 11 to honor those who have served in the United States Armed Forces and to celebrate America’s veterans for their patriotism, their love of country and their willingness to serve.
- In recognition of this sacrifice, the North Carolina Forest Service is offering a special 20 percent discount on tree seedling orders placed in November.
- We hope this will help start a new forest on fallow land or regrow a forest after the timber has been cut. The discount applies to both veterans and current members of the military.
- Tree seedling orders can be placed by calling 1-888-NCTREES or by visiting the online tree seedling store at www.buynctrees.com.
- Available trees include several varieties of pine, oak, walnut, cherry, ash, dogwood, hickory and poplar.
- Proof of service, such as a valid military ID or Department of Defense form 214/215, is required to qualify. The discount applies to the first $500 of new orders, up to $100 off the order price.
- The department has a lot of collaboration with the military, and this program is just one example.
- We work closely with military partners through the North Carolina Sentinel Landscapes Program to protect and grow agricultural and forest lands around military bases in the state.
- This collaboration is designed to provide mutual benefits to the state’s two largest economic sectors: agriculture and defense.
We find that farm and timberland makes great neighbors to military bases or military flight paths. So by protecting farmland and forests, we are also assisting with military readiness. It’s a great partnership.
- Allies that make up the partnership include the N.C. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, US Marine Corps, NC Farm Bureau, NC State University, N.C. Forestry Association, N.C. Association of Soil and Water Conservation Districts, and many others.
- Thank you, veterans, for your service to our great country. We are proud of our military, and we are grateful for any opportunity to express our appreciation for your service.