Commissioner Steve Troxler: State Fair Livestock Sale of Champions

The N.C. State Fair Livestock Sale of Champions was held over the weekend and this year it drew $167,000 for exhibitors and scholarships. Also, a truckload sale brought in an additional $96,750 that was distributed to the nearly 700 youth exhibitors.

  • One of the events I am most proud of at the N.C. State Fair is the annual Sale of Champions. This auction of grand and reserve champion animals along with the Got to Be NC Born and Bred winners benefits young people in their higher education goals.
  • It’s a great program and as we went through the sale, it was rewarding to hear about so many young people who are interested in continuing their education and pursuit of careers in agriculture.
  • Thanks to our bidders and sponsors, the sale drew winning bids of $167,000. In addition, the truckload sales brought in another $96,750, which went to the nearly 700 youth exhibitors.
  • A few years ago, we started the Got to Be NC Born and Bred category, recognizing animals that were born and bred here in the state. I know we have high quality livestock being produced here in North Carolina and we want to reward those efforts.
  • Youth winners receive 60 percent of the purchase amount, with the remaining 40 percent going to support youth scholarships and youth livestock educational programs. Since the scholarship program began in 2015, nearly $285,000 has been awarded to students continuing their education.
  • Grand champion and Got to Be NC winners this year include:
    • Market Steer and Got to Be NC Market Steer were shown by Madison Boyd of Pinetown
    • Junior market lamb was shown by Regan Glass of Belhaven
    • Got to Be NC junior market lamb was shown by Cynthia Connolly of Mt. Ulla
    • Junior market goat and Got to Be NC junior market goat was shown by Zade Jennings of Kenly
    • Junior market barrow and Got to Be NC junior market barrow was shown by Ashton Seal of Mount Airy
    • Market turkey was shown by Hattie Joe Powell of Four Oaks
  • Reserve champion winners include:
    • Junior market steer was shown by Ross Hinnant of Kenly
    • Junior market lamb was shown by Caley Mayo of Whitakers
    • Junior market barrow was shown by Justus Meads of Hertford
    • Junior market meat goat was shown by Caley Mayo of Whitakers
    • Junior market turkey shown by Riley Yates of Randleman
  • We could not do this sale without the generous support of many businesses and groups. Those include:  the N.C. Farm Bureau, N.C. Farm Bureau Insurance, the N.C. Pork Council, Smithfield Foods, Prestage Farms, Hog Slat Inc., Farm Credit Associations of North Carolina, Tractor Supply Company, Talley Farms, Iron Horse Auction Company, Chaudhry Halal Meat Company, Capital Chevrolet, Powers Great American Midway, McBride’s Concessions and EBS Farms.