Commissioner Steve Troxler: Deadline is March 1 to Apply for State Fair Livestock Scholarships.

Any youth who participated in the N.C. State Fair livestock shows are eligible to apply for scholarships for higher education costs. The deadline to apply is coming up — March 1. ┬áNearly $225,000 in scholarships have been awarded since the N.C. State Fair Youth Livestock Scholarship Program started in 2015.

 

  • We have an important deadline coming up involving higher-education scholarships for young people who participated in N.C. State Fair Livestock Shows. They have until March 1 to apply, and I encourage them to get their applications in.

 

  • In 2015, we changed the way payouts were made from our annual Junior Livestock Sale of Champions to create this scholarship fund. By doing this, it gives more kids a chance to benefit from the sale.

 

  • About 60 percent of the winning bids go directly to the grand and reserve grand champion winners. The remaining 40 percent goes into the scholarship fund.

 

  • We brought in more sponsors to this sale and now each year, a number of students earn scholarships towards their higher education expenses. In 2017, we were able to award 33 scholarships valued at $2,000 each. We anticipate having 27 this year.

 

  • To be eligible, you have to be either a high school senior or already enrolled in an institute of higher education and you had to have shown livestock at the N.C. State Fair.

 

  • Selection will be based on N.C. State Fair Junior Livestock show experience (60 points), academic achievement (10 points), a 500-word essay describing your career goals and how showing livestock has helped you toward that goal (15 points), and general resume with extracurricular activities, academic honors and livestock involvement (15 points).the State Fair livestock shows

 

  • Scholarships are paid directly to the schools, with verification of enrollment.

 

 

  • It is important for us to get young people interested in agriculture. Hopefully, these scholarships encourage more young people to participate in our youth livestock shows and also fuels the fire for a career in agriculture or a support industry.