On Thursday July 11th, SCDA will help host Watermelon Field Day at the Edisto Research and Education Center. Here to tell us more about the event is Commissioner Hugh Weathers.
- That’s right Mike. SC is known for our watermelon production, with close to 5,000 acres planted this year and over 98 million pounds produced.
- Our farmers like to stay on top of the issues they face, and our field days provide them with the opportunity to learn more about the research being conducted to help them combat these issues.
- This Thursday, July 11th, the Edisto Research and Education Center in Blackville, SC will host Watermelon Field Day, beginning at 8am.
- The day will include presentations on Watermelon Association activities, the Western Capacity Use Area and Watermelons A-Z, as well as field presentation to look at various research projects and variety trials.
- Many of the topics are pertinent now, like robotic aid in produce transport and weed identification, that can help farmers become more efficient and effective in growing and transporting.
- Certified Crop Advisor (CCA) and Pesticide License credits will be offered, and lunch will be included.
- For more information, please contact Gilbert Miller at 803-793-6614 or by email at email@example.com.