Yesterday was Veteran’s Day, which means celebrating all of those who have served our country. Commissioner Hugh Weathers is here to tell us more about how the South Carolina Department of Agriculture services and celebrates veteran farmers.
- Not only is South Carolina on the list of top ten most patriotic states in the U.S., we are also proud to boast the fact that we are above the national average of veteran farmers.
- Around 19 percent of South Carolina farms have a principal producer who’s served in the military.
- The South Carolina Department of Agriculture is proud to assist those who have served through our Homegrown by Heroes program.
- This initiative affords veteran farmers/ agricultural producers located in SC the ability to us the Homegrown by Heroes logo on their agribusiness signage and agricultural products.
- This shows consumers that the products they are using/ consuming are made by U.S. military veterans
- One of the great benefits of the program is professional and individualized food safety assistance provided by the Farmer Veteran Coalition
- Business planning and financial consultation will also be made available during and after the certification process
- For eligibility details and to apply for the program, visit the Farmer Veteran Coalition website: farmvetco.org/hbh/
- For more information, please contact HBH@FARMVETCO.ORG, or Ansley Turnblad at 803-734-2207