This year marks the 150th anniversary of the South Carolina State Fair, celebrated by this year’s theme, Prize-Winning Memories. Here to tell us more is SC Ag Commissioner Hugh Weathers. Commissioner, can you tell us what to expect this year at the Fair?
- We are celebrating 150 years of the SC State Fair and our state’s agriculture this year
- The Fair will be held from October 9th to October 20th at the State Fair Grounds in Columbia, SC and tickets are on sale now
- There will be plenty of fun for the whole family from rides/coasters, to games to birthday cake flavored funnel cake and agriculture competitions
- SCDA will be housed in the Ellison Building where we will be handing out Certified SC goodies, recipe info and providing a history of the Department and our state’s agriculture
- South Carolina Specialty Food Association members will be handing out info and selling their value-added products like jams, jellies, BBQ sauces and more
- Since its inception in 1879, SCDA has been a champion of farmers, providing services like soil improvement and analysis, food and feed safety regulation, gas regulation, etc.
- While I have been Commissioner, I have had the pleasure of overseeing the creation and expansion of programs such as Certified South Carolina, Fresh on the Menu, SC Farm to School and ACRE
- Here at SCDA, we are looking forward to celebrating 150 years of one of the oldest ag-centric events in SC and of course to having some good old-fashioned fun!
- Make sure to buy your tickets and visit SCDA in the Ellison building where we will be looking back at the last 150 years and celebrating the bright future of agriculture in SC!