August 4th through 10th is National Farmers Market Week, and Commissioner Hugh Weathers is here to talk a bit about it.
- We are in the middle of National Farmers Market Week.
- It was started by USDA 20 years ago to support farmers markets.
- Farmers markets promote healthy eating, connect consumers to farmers, and stimulate local economies.
- Farmers markets also help nurture entrepreneurs.
- Here in South Carolina we have three state farmers market that are actually part of the Department of Agriculture: the State Farmers Market in Lexington County, the Pee Dee State Farmers Market, and the Greenville State Farmers Market.
- We also have farmers markets all across the state. Some of them will have activities to recognize National Farmers Market Week.
- People can also participate on social media. On Instagram, the Farmers Market Coalition is encouraging people to use the hashtag #LoveMyMarket.
- You can visit SouthCarolinaFarmersMarkets.com to find a market near you.