Commissioner Hugh Weathers is here to talk about the “Homegrown by Heroes” initiative that helps educate and support veteran farmers.
- Here in South Carolina we love our veterans and try to support them in any way that we can. Purchasing fruits and veggies from our local veteran farmers is a very tangible way that we can support our vets.
- The Homegrown by Heroes initiative helps to differentiate veteran produced products to allow consumers to support them and allow them to tell their story.
- With many veterans returning home to rural backgrounds, these veterans either take over family farms, start their own, or begin working on the farm.
- Here at the SCDA we are partnering with the Farmer Veteran Coalition to provide a logo that can go on all veteran produced products. This logo will help us knowingly support our local farmer veterans in the state
- The FVC provides aid to veteran farmers in all capacities. Whether it be through its mentorship program, financial planning, or farm education, they want to help.
- If you are currently serving or are a US Military veteran farming here in South Carolina, then you may be eligible for this initiative.
- Be a veteran of any branch of the U.S. Military
- Agribusiness and farming operations that maintain 50% veteran ownership/Management
- Farmers who participate will have access to educational programs and services, and discounts from suppliers and service providers.
- Whether it is by putting the Homegrown by Heroes logo on your products, or becoming a member of the Farmer Veteran Coalition, our goal is to make sure that South Carolina veteran farmers are supported and able to serve our country again by providing food for our state.
- You can find more information by giving us a call (803)-734-2210 at the SCDA website (agriculture.sc.gov) or at the Farmer Veteran Coalition (www.farmvetco.com)