Next week, many of us will gather around the table to share Christmas dinner. While we celebrate the day and being with family, holiday dinners are also a good time to share your farm’s history with younger generations. South Carolina Agriculture Commissioner Hugh Weathers explains more with a radio “Christmas card.”
· This time of year, Blanche and I always enjoy reminiscing about some of our Christmases past. The year the boys participated in the live nativity at our church was pretty authentic
· Christmas is the perfect time to be with loved ones to share holiday memories and stories about the farm. It is also a good time to pass down the history of our land. Of course on a dairy farm, we had plenty of Christmas Day memories of something involving cows…
· Growing up, I remember how farm families, like ours, worked hard all year, and Christmas Day was no exception. We knew that before we could open presents, someone had to feed up and handle the morning chores. Cows, chickens and any other livestock, don’t care that it’s Christmas, they just want their morning meal
· Like those special memories, I believe the work ethic learned on a farm stays with kids forever. Farm parents instill deep values in their children, and usually it’s by example.
· When we were growing up, our family seemed to make an extra effort to be with loved ones during the holidays, to show compassion for the less fortunate and to share stories of family history.
· I hope you and your family will do the same. Even if they’ve already heard the stories a hundred times, tell your kids how things were when you were growing up, what kind of work you did, what your parents were like.
· We plan to gather the family around our table this Christmas with a meal that will feature our favorite Certified SC grown products and share those special memories of growing up on the farm.
· My two grandchildren, Clara (2.5 years old) and Virginia (6 months) will really get to enjoy Christmas this year. Seeing the magic of Christmas through the eyes of a child helps us all remember why this season is so meaningful.
· I wish you and yours a holiday season filled with great memories and new traditions your family will enjoy for a lifetime. Merry Christmas!