South Carolina Commissioner of Agriculture Hugh Weathers discusses the 2018 SC Chef Ambassador program with SFN’s Mike Davis.
- Again this year, SCDA is excited to work on this initiative with the Governor’s Office and the South Carolina Department of Parks, Recreation & Tourism. It is truly a team effort.
- Combing the expertise and efforts of the Department of Ag and PRT and the industries we represent allows us to showcase South Carolina agricultural commodities, creative recipes and amazing destinations. Basically it’s another way to reinforce the importance of buying local and supporting local businesses/towns.
- We continue to bring more awareness to SCDA’s Certified SC Grown program by increasing demand for locally grown agricultural products across the state.
- The third class of Chef Ambassadors participated in many events last year including: the Taste of South Carolina at AgriBiz Expo in Florence, Charleston Wine+Food Festival, the Atlanta Food and Wine Festival, and EUPHORIA, the culinary event in Greenville
- As you can see, they had the opportunity to be a part of a number of noteworthy and prestigious events, promoting South Carolina as a great place to experience fine food.
- Highlighting both discovered and undiscovered regions throughout the state, the Chef Ambassadors are making waves in the culinary world.
- This year’s slate will represent the state at various events and will perform cooking demonstrations with locally grown products, conduct educational discussions on healthy eating for children, demonstrate how easy it is to incorporate buying local into every day meal planning, and showcase South Carolina’s agriculture and tourism.
- They were selected for their commitment to serving Certified SC Grown and for their efforts to establish their restaurants as destinations – all of which are Fresh on the Menu restaurants. Check out our app for more information on these and others across the state.
Here are this year’s South Carolina Chef Ambassadors:
Kiki Cyrus—Kiki’s Chicken and Waffles Columbia, SC
Michelle Weaver—Charleston Grille Charleston, SC
Heidi Vukov—Croissants Bistro and Bakery Myrtle Beach, SC, our first pastry chef in the program
Sarah McClure—Southside Smokehouse Landrum, SC