The federal government has approved nine Virginia counties and cities for public assistance in efforts to recover from Hurricane Irene, bringing the total number of localities to 48.
Gov. Bob McDonnell's office said Thursday that the Federal Emergency Management Agency has made Amelia, Brunswick, Greensville, Hanover, Lunenburg, Northampton, Nottaway and Powatan counties, along with the city of Alexandria, eligible for disaster assistance.
The designation allows local governments and certain nonprofit groups to use federal funds to pay for damage to critical infrastructure, roads, buildings and equipment, along with costs for emergency services and debris removal.
Additionally, the city of Greenville is starting to remove storm debris from private roads, almost five weeks after Hurricane Irene made landfall in North Carolina. The Daily Reflector of Greenville reported that the city was awaiting approval from the Federal Emergency Management Agency before clearing private roads.
Public Works Director Wes Anderson says reimbursement was guaranteed Monday. FEMA will reimburse the city for 75 percent of costs related to Irene cleanup. The state will cover the remaining 25 percent.
Read more hurricane impact reports...